Elmira/Corning Regional Airport
- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN BRADFORD COUNTY, PA UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 5/23/2015 7:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 5/23/2015 7:00 AM EST
Avoid Losing Pets in Spring
ELMIRA (WENY) -- Now that it's warming up, Elmira Animal Control is reminding pet owners to register their pets.
They say this is the time of year they start getting more calls for lost and missing cats and dogs.
After a cold winter, people may find storm doors are in need of repair and it's easy for pets to get out. Animal Control Director, craig Spencer says people are going in and out more, and sometimes doors don't latch properly, and pets can escape.
Shelters throughout the country find they're overpopulated because pets are unidentifiable.
Just last month, about 80 percent of the dogs picked up by Elmira Animal Control did not have proper ID.
"It's very important that these dogs are licensed. It's required by the state of New York that any dog over four months of age be licensed," said Spencer. "It helps with getting the dogs back to their owner in a timely manner."
If an unidentified dog is brought to the Elmira shelter, the shelter takes five days to try and find the owner before placing it for adoption. Another measure is to have your pet micro-chipped. The shelter can scan to see if the animal has a chip, which can help reunite you with your pet faster.