Elmira/Corning Regional Airport
WINTER STORM WARNING
- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/2/2015 2:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/2/2015 2:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/2/2015 2:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/2/2015 2:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/2/2015 2:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/2/2015 2:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN BRADFORD COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/2/2015 2:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/2/2015 12:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/2/2015 12:00 PM EST
Boating For A Cure On Seneca Lake
Written By: Asha McKenzie
MONTOUR FALLS (WENY) -- "That's what drives me, all the family members that we lost, the survivors, my wife, my granddaughter, that's what gets me going, said Norman Knight, Boating For A Cure Coordinator.
Just 4 years ago, Knight and his wife Joyce, created Boating For A Cure after their son in law, Nick passed away from lung cancer.
And Each year, the event raises thousands of dollars to cancer research.
"We're going to put our same heart and soul into this event next year." said Knight. "And I'm going to try my best to outdo this year."
This year Close to 30 boats set sail,out of Montour Falls Marina, into Seneca Lake.
With Each boat's decorations represent a different type of cancer.
"We're doing the pink, me and Pat are sisters and our sister is a survivor of breast cancer. She's our younger sister," said Mary Cherkis.
Among the participants, were family members of those who died from the disease and survivor's themselves.
Jason Brown was diagnosed with stage 4 Colorectal cancer but has been cancer free for 10 years.
"This man (brown), is why we do this. Ok, people like him why we do this," said Joyce Knight.
Brown says he's here to give other's hope.
"They told me later on, not when I was going through it, that I had about a .1% chance of survival," said Brown. "It's never too grim. If you get a bad diagnosis, you can beat it. I did."
All proceeds will go to the American Cancer Society.