- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN BRADFORD COUNTY, PA UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 5/23/2015 8:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 5/23/2015 8:00 AM EST
First Day Of Fishing Season
MONTOUR FALLS (WENY) -- It's a warm start to the 2014 Trout Season compared to last year and anglers throughout the area flooded the creek.
David Anderson and Wayne Templer have more than 75 years of fishing experience between them both and they look forward to the 1st of April every year.
"Being out, fishing, it's always fun," says Anderson. We got up early this morning in anticipation and we're not disappointed. We throw them back anyhow so it doesn't make any difference."
After a long day at the creek, people like to eat at PDR Catering, where they can get the famous hot sausage sandwich.
"The hot sausage, definitely their favorite with the onions and peppers," says PDR owner Douglas Walborn.
He says opening day for trout season is like a reunion ever year.
"Some of these guys, you only see them once a year," says Walborn. And it's like old times, you know."
Many anticipate a tug on their hook but being out at the creek and enjoying the day is good enough.
Edward Edkin, an angler who has gone to Catherine Creek every year since childhood says he enjoys being out during the fishing season.
"I haven't caught anything but it doesn't matter if I catch anything or not," says Edkin. "I have fun doing it. Been doing it since i've been a little kid."
Even if you didn't get a chance to go out today, there's still a lot of time left in fishing season.