- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN BRADFORD COUNTY, PA UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 5/23/2015 7:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 5/23/2015 7:00 AM EST
Former Riverside Treasurer Accused of Stealing
STEUBEN CO. (WENY) -- Investigators say the former treasurer for the village of Riverside stole more than $80,000 from taxpayers. State police arrested Kristina Johnson in November for grand larceny and falsifying business records.
In an audit released this week, NYS Comptroller Tom Dinapoli says Johnson made extra payments to herself, skimmed money off rent payments and used the village's credit card for personal purchases between August 2008 and February 2013.
DiNapoli has suggested the village board take action to recover the lost funds. He also made several recommendations to help improve village financial controls. These include:
- Implement comprehensive policies and procedures over payroll;
- Develop policies and procedures that safeguard cash receipts. These policies and procedures should segregate duties, hold individual employees accountable for collections made, and detail which reports will be maintained to verify amounts collected;
- Require prior approval for adjustments, write-offs or refunds in the water and sewer accounts;
- Adopt a comprehensive credit card policy and review and update the policy annually; and
- Require the treasurer to provide monthly financial reports that include a list of all moneys received and disbursed, budget-to-actual comparisons, fund balance amounts and reconciled cash balances for each fund.
Johnson is due back in court on May first.