Elmira/Corning Regional Airport
WIND CHILL WARNING
- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN BRADFORD COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/14/2016 11:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/14/2016 11:00 AM EST
S.Tier Residents Get A Ride To Work
Written By: Asha McKenzie
CORNING (WENY) -- Live in Southern Tier and need a ride to work? Well there's a website for that.
Leaders from Steuben and Chemung counties came together to bring the Rideshare program to the region.
A county wide buddy system to get Steuben and Chemung County residents to work
511 New York Southern Tier Rideshare program is all about linking individuals to, well, share a ride.
"How many folks are discouraged at the fact that, well I don't have an opportunity to get to work, maybe I don't even look for a job," said Charles Peacock, Executive Director at CSS Workforce NY. "So, being able to provide this portal and opportunity to them will hopefully meet that segment of needs for those folks who have a lack of transportation."
This collaborative project began as a pilot program 4 years ago in the Southern Tier.
With much success downstate, leaders from Steuben and Chemung Counties say rural communities could benefit from it most by taking carpooling to the next level.
"Any program like this that fills a gap of service and gives folks another means to get to work is absolutely a tremendous benefit," said Jack Wheeler, Deputy County Adminstrator of Steuben County.
Southern Tier rideshare is Free to register and Free to participate.
To find a match for you, The database asks basic questions like: where you coming from and where you are going to.
From then, matches are found and you will be provided with contact information.
"It allows people a way to either gain or retain employment and in that case, so in that aspect, the employment rates are great that way," said Amber Simmons, Mobility Manager in Chemung County.
If you are worried about safety while using this ride matching program, local leaders say they encourage feedback so they can correct any issues early on.