- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN BRADFORD COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/14/2016 11:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/14/2016 11:00 AM EST
Tech Connection: Back to School Tech
Tech Connection: Back to School Shopping
Computer's are essential for students these days and laptop prices have dropped substantially. You can get a good one for as little as $300 to $400.
Just make sure you're educated! There's ultrabooks (which are thin and light), netbooks (which are tiny), and then chromebooks (which are attractively cheap, but limited without wifi access).
If you have to have a Macbook, remember you can save money by buying a refurbished model, or from a reseller.
Here's a link to the Refurbished Model section of the Apple Store:
Printers have also dropped in price, but before you add a new one to your cart, know this.
A lot of electronics retailers will offer you a free or discounted printer with the purchase of a new computer. So take advantage of a great deal if you're in the market for both!
PROTECTION FOR YOUR DEVICES
Whether it's iPods, smartphones, laptops or tablets, get a case.
There's nothing worse than dropping a beloved piece of tech and putting a nasty dent in it.
If you have a laptop, buy a cable lock.
This will keep your computer on your desk, and out of the hands of others who might want it for themselves.
Here's one laptop cable lock on Amazon:
Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint are used in the classroom more than any other programs.
You can get the whole Microsoft Office suite in the “Home and Student Edition” for $120 bucks.
But if you're on a budget, Apache OpenOffice offers almost all the same capabilities as Microsoft's version, and it's free!
Here's a link to the OpenOffice download page:
The handy flash drive -- and its big brother, the external hard drive – are cheaper then ever, giving you an easy solution to carry files on your keychain or in your backpack.
Transferring files to share notes, print that last-minute paper or bring that Powerpoint presentation to class happens frequently. So this one is a must-have!