- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/17/2017 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/17/2017 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/17/2017 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/17/2017 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/17/2017 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/17/2017 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN BRADFORD COUNTY, PA UNTIL 1/17/2017 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 1/17/2017 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 1/17/2017 10:00 AM EST
Your forecast for February 27th
TWIN TIERS -- Good morning! Here's your latest First Warning Forecast:
Temperatures: 16° to 20°. Temperatures will likely fall during the afternoon as a cold front blows through the region. By dinnertime, expect temperatures Near 10°.
Wind Chills: -5° to -10° during the day. By tonight, wind chills will drop to between -10° and -20° towards daybreak Friday.
Wind: West-Southwest sustained between 20-30 MPH with frequent gusts Near 40 MPH through the afternoon.
Weather: Skies will start with sunshine through morning. Between 11AM and 3PM...a cold front will move through the region. Snow showers and a snow squall will likely accompany this front. After the front passes by later today, expect windy and colder weather by evening with a few leftover scattered snow showers. Skies will clear later tonight and it'll be cold.
Watches, Warnings, Advisories: Wind Chill ADVISORY begins at 6PM Thursday and continue until 9AM Friday. Wind chill advisories are issued when a combination of cold temperatures and wind speeds make for dangerously cold conditions to any exposed skin. Make sure any exposed skin is covered. Remember, frostbite can occur on exposed skin in 30 minutes with wind chills Near -20°. Dress warm and in layers if you need to be outside for any prolonged period of time. Also, make sure you are wearing a hat, gloves or mittens.
You can stay updated with the latest weather forecasts here:
Here is the watch, warning and advisory summary from the National Weather Service:
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY
212 AM EST THU FEB 27 2014
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...PENN YAN...SENECA FALLS...AUBURN...
212 AM EST THU FEB 27 2014
...WIND CHILL ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 9 AM
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON HAS ISSUED A WIND
CHILL ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO
9 AM EST FRIDAY.
* LOCATIONS...CENTRAL NEW YORK AND NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA.
* HAZARDS...DANGEROUSLY COLD WIND CHILLS.
* WIND CHILL READINGS...AS LOW AS 13 TO 23 BELOW ZERO.
* WINDS...WEST 10 TO 20 MPH THIS EVENING...WITH GUSTS UP TO 35
MPH. WINDS MAY DIMINISH SLIGHTLY LATE TONIGHT AND FRIDAY MORNING.
* TEMPERATURES...MAINLY IN THE TEENS TODAY...DROPPING TO NEAR
ZERO TONIGHT...THEN MOSTLY IN THE 5 TO 15 DEGREE RANGE FRIDAY.
A WIND CHILL ADVISORY IS ISSUED WHEN WINDS COMBINE WITH VERY COLD
TEMPERATURES TO CREATE DANGEROUS CONDITIONS FOR EXPOSED SKIN. THE
WIND CHILL IS EXPECTED TO BE COLD ENOUGH TO CAUSE FROSTBITE IN
ABOUT 30 MINUTES OR LESS...AND COULD LEAD TO HYPOTHERMIA IF
PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN. THOSE PLANNING TO VENTURE OUTDOORS
SHOULD USE COMMON SENSE AND DRESS WARMLY...MAKING SURE THAT ALL
EXPOSED SKIN IS COVERED.