- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/24/2017 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/24/2017 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/24/2017 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/24/2017 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/24/2017 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/24/2017 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN BRADFORD COUNTY, PA UNTIL 1/24/2017 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 1/24/2017 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 1/24/2017 10:00 AM EST
Your forecast for March 3rd
TWIN TIERS -- Good morning! Here's your latest First Warning Forecast:
Temperatures: 0° to 10° through the morning hours. Temperatures by afternoon only in the teens, which is roughly 25° colder than average. Normally, we should be Near 40° for daytime highs at the beginning of March, so this is unusually cold.
Wind Chills: A combination of cold temperatures and a northerly breeze will provide wind chill readings in the -6° to 16° range through the morning. By afternoon, expect wind chill readings to ease a little bit with afternoon wind chills in the 0° to 10° range.
Wind: Northerly between 10-15mph.
Weather: Some clouds through the early morning should give way to a good deal of sunshine by afternoon. There will also be a few flurries through the morning however, any flurries should diminish as we progress through the afternoon with dry air seeping south from Canada. I am keeping an eye on the storm to the south. This storm will stay south of the Twin Tiers today, so there will be little impact from it. The closest snow to us locally will be near and south of Scranton and Williamsport, PA. The storm will likely move even more south through the course of the day today.
Watches, Warnings, Advisories: A wind chill ADVISORY continues through 10AM for the Twin Tiers. Worst wind chill readings will be through mid morning and then slightly improve during the afternoon. Wind chill advisories are issued when a combination of cold temperatures and wind speeds make for dangerously cold conditions to any exposed skin. Make sure any exposed skin is covered. Remember, frostbite can occur on exposed skin in 30 minutes with wind chills Near -20°. Dress warm and in layers if you need to be outside for any prolonged period of time. Also, make sure you are wearing a hat, gloves or mittens and make sure pets stay indoors!
You can stay updated with the latest weather forecasts here:
Here is the watch, warning and advisory summary from the National Weather Service:
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY
249 AM EST MON MAR 3 2014
NORTHERN ONEIDA-YATES-SENECA-SOUTHERN CAYUGA-ONONDAGA-STEUBEN-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BOONVILLE...PENN YAN...SENECA FALLS...
249 AM EST MON MAR 3 2014
...WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST THIS
* LOCATIONS...ALL OF CENTRAL NEW YORK AND BRADFORD...
SUSQUEHANNA... AND NORTHERN WAYNE COUNTIES IN NORTHEAST
* WIND CHILL READINGS...5 TO 20 BELOW.
* WINDS...NORTHWEST 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH.
* TIMING...THROUGH 10 AM EST TODAY.
* TEMPERATURES...LOWS OF MOSTLY 5 BELOW TO 5 ABOVE ZERO.
* IMPACTS...BITTERLY COLD WIND CHILLS COULD CAUSE FROSTBITE AND
HYPOTHERMIA FOR ANYONE OUTSIDE WITHOUT PROPER CLOTHING FOR AN
EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME.
A WIND CHILL ADVISORY IS ISSUED WHEN WINDS COMBINE WITH VERY COLD
TEMPERATURES TO CREATE DANGEROUS CONDITIONS FOR EXPOSED SKIN. THE
WIND CHILL IS EXPECTED TO BE COLD ENOUGH TO CAUSE FROSTBITE IN
ABOUT 30 MINUTES OR LESS...AND COULD LEAD TO HYPOTHERMIA IF
PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN. THOSE PLANNING TO VENTURE OUTDOORS
SHOULD USE COMMON SENSE AND DRESS WARMLY...MAKING SURE THAT ALL
EXPOSED SKIN IS COVERED.