ELMIRA, N.Y. (WENY) – The obituary for Gary Strobridge, the man who died in Elmira Police custody last month, has been published.

According to his obituary, Strobridge was 49-years-old at the time of his death.

In a statement, his family wrote: 

“Gary was a great son who we loved unconditionally. His love of art and music was his past time. He died way too soon in an unforgiving way. Gary was a kind and loving soul. He was loved by more people than he will ever know. He tried to work hard every day to make ends meet. For all of you who loved him as much as we did, keep fighting for him. "Justice For Gary!" Don't ever let them forget him. It was our son today, tomorrow it could be yours. People in the community need to call for change. When he needed help that night, he did not get it. What number do we need to call when people are in trouble without fear of getting hurt or even worse. You people will never know the hurt and heartache you have caused us by your actions. A special thanks to Kevin and Barb Smith, Angie, Penny and Erin Young who have all been great. To all neighbors on Horner Street, thank you! To the friends of Gary, thank you! To our family, thank you! With all of your support we can get through this. We miss him so much...
Love, till we meet you again, Mom and Dad.
To everyone, please keep fighting for "Justice For Gary!"

No services will take place at this time.

As WENY News has reported, the New York State Attorney General's Office has taken over the investigation into the circumstances surrounding Strobridge's death. 

On August 22, Elmira Police reportedly responded to a home on Horner Street for reports of a man acting unusual. 

Officers say they attempted to take Strobridge into custody under the Mental Hygiene Law when Strobridge allegedly struck an officer in the face. Police say they then tased Strobridge and he was taken into custody. 

While receiving treatment at a hospital, police say Strobridge was initially compliant, but then his "behavior suddenly changed" and he allegedly attacked another police officer. During this second struggle, police say Strobridge suddenly became "limp and unresponsive". 

He was then sent to Upstate Medical Center in Syracuse where he later died.