N.Y. Senate announces Foundation Aid roundtables to discuss school financing
ALBANY, N.Y. (WENY) -- The New York State Senate has announced a series of roundtables and a public hearing to gather opinions on the components and disbursement of Foundation Aid from stakeholders, which helps finance schools throughout the Empire State.
"Every New York Student, regardless of zip code or school district, deserves access to a high quality education," Senate Majority Leader Andrea Stewart-Cousins said. "We need to have real discussions on how our public schools are funded and if this is the most effective way to ensure New York students receive the education they deserve. The hearing and roundtables will help provide guidance to the Senate Democratic Majority as we prepare for the upcoming budget process and state public education allocations."
The Education Committee and the Committee on Budget and Revenues will focus on how Foundation Aid meets student, district, and community needs, with the goal of achieving greater equity in school financing.
- Hudson Valley - October 16, Yonkers Riverfront Library, One Larkin Plaza, Community Room AB, Yonkers, from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm.
- Western New York - October 18, Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center, 665 Elm St, Zebro Family Conference Room, Buffalo, from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm.
- Central New York - October 29, Syracuse Center of Excellence, 727 E. Washington St, Room 203, Syracuse, from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm.
- Long Island - November 13, Seaford Middle School, 3940 Sunset Ave, Seaford, from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm.
- New York City - November 19, Bayside High School, 3224 Corporal Kennedy St, Bayside, from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm.
In the Southern Tier, the closest options are Syracuse and Buffalo.
The public hearing is scheduled for December 3 in New York City, but a live stream will be available for those who can't attend.
Participation at the roundtables is by invitation only. Members of the public are encouraged to attend and listen. Anyone who wishes to submit written testimony is encouraged to do so by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.